A Call to Prayer
From the Session of Greenwich Presbyterian Church
May 5, 2020
The Session has unanimously endorsed to call the Greenwich church family to a season of prayer through the end of the summer. Periodically, the elders have called the church family to prayer during times of significant decision making and sacrifice, seeking God’s purposes through times of study and focused prayer efforts.
The elders believe we are in such a season again as we face the COVID-19 pandemic and the challenges we face as a church family and as citizens of our local community, country, and world. To that end, we are providing this daily prayer guide as well as hosting regular prayer gatherings.
Sunday: Life of Greenwich
- Deeper love for Jesus Christ in our worship services
- An increased hunger for the Word of God
- To be “do-ers” of the Word, not hearers only
- Generous hearts and open hands
- Unity and compassion within the church family
- Increased awareness and use of our spiritual gifts
- Increased mercy and love for our local community.
Monday: Healing & Suffering
- Healing for all those suffering from physical illness and disease.
- Containment of the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- Comfort for those who are lonely in hospitals, nursing homes, & other care facilities.
- Those in need of postponed medical care.
- Those with mental health challenges.
Tuesday: Leaders & Influencers
- For our pastors, elders, staff, and ministry leaders.
- Wisdom, courage, humility, and unity in all decisions.
- Wise and diligent administration of church funds & resources.
- For wisdom and the pursuit of the common good by elected officials.
- For clarity, integrity, and discretion in the media.
- For wisdom & understanding in our scientific & medical community.
- For business leaders making difficult decisions.
Wednesday: Protection for the Most Vulnerable
- The elderly and those suffering from chronic disease.
- The poor & the homeless in need of daily bread.
- Women and children in abusive situations.
- Those in prisons or other facilities who cannot protect themselves.
- Women facing pregnancy & delivery.
- Countries in the developing world & densely populated cities.
- Asians and anyone subjected to COVID-related racism.
- Caution & responsibility by the young and the strong.
Thursday: Faithful Discipleship
- Discipline in practices for spiritual growth & prayer.
- Repentance from sin and renewed commitment to Jesus.
- Effective discipleship for families with children at home.
- Willing hearts and hands to serve others.
- Courage to share Jesus Christ with others
- Keep us from anxiety and panic.
- May we be wise and well-informed consumers.
- Generosity and willingness to sacrifice our own desires for the common good.
- For new Christians, turning to faith in Jesus in the midst of this crisis.
- Effective witness to the community in word and deed
Friday: Frontline Workers in Healthcare & Essential Services
- Keep them & their families safe and healthy.
- Ability to diagnose and treat illness and disease.
- Clear-thinking and relief from anxiety.
- Compassion for every patient in their care.
- Help Christians in health care to exhibit extraordinary peace & mercy.
Saturday: Other Effects of the Pandemic
- Workers facing layoffs and financial hardship.
- Families with young children at home.
- Parents who cannot stay home from work.
- Protection and favor on marriages.
- Students & Teachers in Secondary Schools & Colleges, learning how to study from home.
- Everyone anxious about their economic future.
- Those disappointed by the cancellation of milestone events.